What is GOTS? Global organic textile standard
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the world’s leading standard for production of textile products from organic fibers, which includes strict environmental and social criteria.
The purpose of GOTS is to ensure that the products are made from organic fibers that do not leave any negative effects on the environment and that they are created in a socially responsible environment. Environmentally responsible manufacturers have an opportunity to promote their products with a certificate that is accepted and recognized in the majority of the world.
To receive a GOTS certificate, there are several areas that need to meet the required criteria. These include processing, production, packaging, labeling, trading and distribution of textile products. The product must contain at least 95% of certified organic fibers to obtain the label “organic” or at least 70% of certified organic fibers to obtain a “made with organic” label.
- During the entire production, organic products must be separated from all other products or fibers
- All chemical additives such as colorants or processing chemicals must meet certain requirements regarding their degradability
- It is prohibited to use heavy metals, formaldehyde, nanoparticles, aromatic solvents and genetically modified organisms (GMOs) or their enzymes.
- Carcinogenic Azo dyes are prohibited
- Bleaching has to be based on oxygen (no chlorine bleaching)
- All manufacturing processes have to be environmentally responsible, and must strive to reduce waste and emissions
- The packaging material must not contain plastic material PVC. The paper or paperboard used for packaging and all packaging elements must be recycled
The fabric quality criteria must meet certain conditions regarding color fastness to perspiration and light, shrinkage and must not cause irritation or sweating when in direct contact with skin.
Raw materials, intermediate products and finished products must comply with strict conditions regarding unwanted waste.
Social criteria are based on ILO norms, which must be met by everybody involved in the production of raw materials for products, final products and everybody else involved. Employees must be allowed to work under appropriate conditions, without forced labor, exploitation and with appropriate working hours. More detailed terms on the social criteria set by GOTS can be found on their website HERE under the subheading “Social criteria”.
You can read more about the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) on their website https://www.global-standard.org/
If you wish to see our products with a GOTS certificate you are more than welcome to do so HERE.